We at 4th Dimension Racing are passionate about sustainability. It is something really important to us and we have been doing this since 2007 when we first started. In our events we try hard to reduce, reuse and recycle to cut down waste.
- We acquire supplies from secondhand sources such as FreeCycle.org, Goodwill and Craig's List. Items we've obtained include tables, chairs, reusable utensils, cups, plates, storage containers, etc. That is why a lot of our stuff doesn't match.
- We buy food in bulk at Costco to minimize packaging, and we don't use disposable bags in our shopping trips.
- We provide reusable cups, plates, cutlery and bowls to serve food. We use cloth towels for cleaning and use paper towels only when necessary.
- We provide recycling bins on site for paper, plastic, glass as well as compost bins to collect food scraps.
- We use clip on streamers to mark courses that are reused from race to race.
- We do most of our communication with the race community electronically via email and online newsletters to reduce paper waste.
- We do not provide swag bags for our trail runs.
- We produce one event shirt per year for purchase to keep both entry fee and waste low.
- We work with volunteer organizations such as the Washington Trails Association, Friends of Capitol Forest, Friends of Lord Hill and rangers to maintain and build new trails.
- We encourage carpooling.
Being green is something we care deeply about and we continuously learn and improve the process as we go. If you have any suggestions for optimization please do send it our way!
“Man does not weave this web of life. He is merely a strand of it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.” ~ Chief Seattle